Monday, February 26, 2007

Editing stuff

I've spent every free minute this weekend editing TW and went to bed thinking about it last night. Went to bed? Well, really, that would imply that I fell asleep on purpose. In this case I fell asleep on the couch under my Indian blanket (gift from my dad) while watching Star Trek First Contact with my husband. I woke up around two am and actually crawled into my bed then.

Anyway I dreamed about the characters. Very strange, very vivid. I've heard about writers doing this, but it's the first time I've experienced it. This is probably because this is the first time that I have clear picture of the characters and who they all are in my head.

I've been fretting about it quite a bit, worrying that the ending delivers, weeding out inconsistencies in the plot (before this weekend there were quite a few of them), and adding to a couple of conversations, making sure the evidence and the foreshadowing are visible enough that the final scenes are clear.

The writing in this particular project is tight enough it's hard to know where to add to it and I am distinctly aware that adding very much to it will upset the balance I'm going for. I said something to my husband about adding a scene that struck me as logical--something the character should have done--and he said that, yes, I could do that, but that if I'm not careful, I'm going to wind up in the trap of never being done with this story and it never being good enough to even seek an agent for. Valid point, I suppose. I need to find a place where I can say that it's good enough as is. Perhaps a deadline? I spent just over three months writing it ( a record for me)--maybe three more months of editing will do the trick.

No comments: