Sunday, April 01, 2007

Sunday Quotes

Instead of singing for the Cantata this year, I chose to narrate instead. There's a lot less pressure and people are just as inclined to cheer you on. I enjoy singing (a great deal), but solo work is draining and I sing first soprano in a choir full of largely older people. This means that I "carry" the soprano section, which isn't saying anything other than the fact that I'm the strongest voice in a group of 60+ women. I'm a little better than okay, but only just.The choir did not fold without me, regardless of what my mother said would happen when I said was taking some time off.

This morning the pianist asked me where I'd been this year. I explained that after the Christmas Cantata (ran myself ragged trying to make it to two rehearsals a week in addition to teaching teens, taking care of my own kids, working ect), I decided to commit myself to activities that made me happy. This means singing contemporary Christian at the first service and teaching teens on Wednesday.

This morning I sat in the back with the other narrator, holding a microphone, while my husband and sons sat in the front. Typical of him, my husband was staring straight ahead while the boys were fooling around (whispering, putting on puppet shows, passing notes and giggling). This is a huge no-no in our family. I don't think they believed I could see them.

They were wrong.

I strolled up a side aisle and slipped into the pew behind them. My second born felt the hand of God descend on him, his own paused in mid shadow puppet, his whispers caught in his throat. Then my eight year old, whose fingers were fluttering like a moth, received the call as well. They both turned, prepared to confess their sins and repent. When it turned out to be me, they looked a lot more nervous. God can just take your life--Mom can take away TV. They were still for the rest of the service. On my way back by I took my oldest son's pencil away to keep him from passing another note to his best buddy at the other end of the pew.

They all got lectures (even my son's friend) after church. It's been years since I've had to speak to the boys about that kind of behavior. I don't know what got into them.

Anyway, found likeable quotes about being a writer and thought I'd share them.

I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top--English Professor

A writer's inspiration is not just to create. He must eat three times a day. — Pierre Beaumarchais


The one who tells the stories rules the world.Hopi proverb

Writing is not a profession but a vocation of unhappiness. — Georges Simenon


Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.Gloria Steinem

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.Richard Bach

You shall know the truth, and it will make you odd.Flannery O'Connor

The reason 99% of all stories written are not bought by editors is very simple. Editors never buy manuscripts that are left on the closet shelf at home. - John Campbell

To write good SF today...you must push further and harder, reach deeper into your own mind until you break through into the strange and terrible country wherein live your own dreams.
- Gardner Dozois

This manuscript of yours that has just come back from another editor is a precious package. Don't consider it rejected. Consider that you've addressed it 'to the editor who can appreciate my work' and it has simply come back stamped 'Not at this address'. Just keep looking for the right address. - Barbara Kingsolver

1 comment:

Scotty said...

Mom takes away the TV - hehe, love it....