Monday, December 24, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I waited for all the shouting to die down, went to the library and checked it out. We're famous for not returning books on time and I didn't want to have to worry about it. The librarian took great pains to explain to me how we can re-check our books online now. I assured her that I wouldn't have it that long, though. She pointed to its length and I decided not to argue.

My mother said, "Oooh, you'll need to slow down and really read it carefully otherwise you'll miss it. That's a really dense book."

"It's not War and Peace, Mom. It's written on a sixth grade level. I think I can handle this."

She was insistent, though. I expect to be quizzed later. Mom's never understood how anyone could devour a book at the speed at which I typically read casual fiction. She's long been sure I had to be missing most of the story. Mom's not much of a reader. As my father doesn't read for fun at all and disapproves of people who do, I've sometimes wondered if I was switched at birth. Somewhere out there is a couple of conservative intellectuals who can't figure out what to do with their free-spirited, tie-dyed daughter who insists that her plants talk back to her.

Anyway-the newest HP book was fantastic, exploding from the starting block with mad chases and magic in the first pages and it keeps up the pace nicely. I was very pleased with all the surprises, though I felt like there was an awful lot explaining tha went on in the end--info-dumping almost. But a very satisfying ending for the series.

I have informed my husband that when we get married again, I want a wizard's wedding. Enchanted flowers, birds, magical lights, and floating champagne bottles are right up my alley.

I have a lot of thoughts on the price Harry paid and some interesting symbolisms, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Oh and I finished it in two days. Of course now I'm short on sleep and still have presents to finish making. Oops.

No comments: