Sunday, February 14, 2010

What I did today

I performed a bit of earth magic today--planting seeds in little pots in hopes that the potion of dirt, embryos, and holy water will call up spring.  The garden sings to me almost daily now and it's getting harder to sit inside. Winter intends to over stay its welcome; I have other ideas.

Then I performed another bit of magic; I filled out my FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid

This has been under discussion since I quit work two and a half years ago and it's time to move forward; I'm growing restless. Next year it will be only Sam and me at home so it seems like a good time to take this really big step. I'd like to take as many of my courses online as I can while I'm preparing him for high school. At the very least I'd like to wrap up my psychology degree, which was only six hours from completion when I left school to teach preschool which was followed closely by raising my family. It is very likely that they'll insist I take a few again as I'm sure that their philosophy on what makes kids tick has changed considerably in twenty years. But I'm hoping it's not more than another six or nine hours.

My long term goal is to pursue a degree in education as Sam will be off to high school in about three years, Joe will be in his senior year and Jeremiah and (possibly) Daniel will be out on their own. Ideally I'll be able to go back to work the same year and I'd like it to be something I enjoy (or at least don't hate). My really long term goal is to get a masters and work as a high school counselor.

Now all I've got to do is work out the logistics of it and figure out which college(s) make the most sense. I can take some courses online, but some require classroom time and the nearest campus is about an hour away.

Oh, and last but definitely not least, I wrote a thousand words on Scrim which is now about 60,000 words along. Right in the thick of the pea soup center of it.

Of everything really.

No comments: