BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The final weeks

Three more class sessions, then finals.

 Sometimes it seems like these last weeks of school are like the last mile of a marathon and it is all I can do to just make it to the finish line. Before Easter I hit a wall, sat in front of my math trying to solve problems I'd done dozens of times. My brain was blank. I got one answer wrong after another. It made no sense--I wasn't physically tired and I didn't think I was mentally fatigued.

Gary spotted the trouble and suggested I take a couple of days off from it. I argued with him (I hate putting schoolwork off), but he was right. It was as though I'd pulled some mental muscle (Is there a mathematical hamstring?) So I put it down for three days and turned my attention to a paper that isn't due until finals' week.  I had a question about how the professor wanted something done so I sent him an email, not expecting a reply until sometime after Easter.

Late that evening, while typing, I received an answer to my question and this-  "You are a pleasure to have in class. And your work is EXCELLENT". (His caps, not mine).

As though he knew I needed someone to cheer me on the last few yards.

Today I sat down and finished my math. It was a bit of a battle at first, but halfway through I found a rhythm.  I have a test in there tomorrow. I hope I can sustain the pace.


0 comments: