Sunday, May 27, 2007

Spam Messages aka found nonsense

I rarely bother to open spam, but once in a while the title of an e-mail looks iffy enough to check to out before I delete it. I'll never completely understand why spammers spam. It seems to me like it wouldn't produce much in the way of money. I wonder how many people who, like me, think this might be an important message, open up the e-mails and then (not like me) think, "Wow! I've always wanted a male enhancement product . . . "

What I'm talking about today is the text at the end. Apparently in order to get them past the spam-blockers, the sender puts their ad at the top and tacks on a random selection of sentences. Text generators are great. This morning, I found three terrific sentences all in one message.

The polar bear, a radioactive turn signal, and another bohemian rattlesnake are what made America great!

My favorite:
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of backup tapes hurling down the highway.

A customer beams with joy, and the canyon living with a briar patch leaves; however, a soggy chestnut seeks an earring about the cab driver.

2 comments:

Scotty said...

I don't get much spam on male enhancements or Viagara any more since I run some good filters to send this all to the bin before I see it , and my ISP has some pretty good filters set up too - but a couple of variations on the Nigerian money scam managed to sneak through this past week.

Will have to add filter # 311, 312 and 313 to beat that...

:-)

Mary O. Paddock said...

Just think of all the neato images I'd miss if I didn't get at least some spam?

There's got to be a story in the line about the radioactive turn signal.