Saturday, May 05, 2007

Editing is hard

It's especially difficult when I decide I need to add a detail or phrase to clarify a moment, only to discover I already did that a few lines further on--and it was generally better done. I've run into this a lot with this book. I don't know if this means I'm too in love with my own writing or if the work is that closer to being complete than it usually is at this stage.

I'm currently reading Beginnings Middles and Ends by Nancy Kress. The advice is good, though I confess I'm past needing some of it--not that I don't commit the mistakes she talks about, just that I'm aware of the pitfalls she's discussing. My biggest concern is whether I'm actually putting what I know into practice or not. I guess the only way to know some of this is to finish this edit, put the spit and polish on it be brave enough to actually send a letter to an agent.
Or at least I hope so.

No comments: