Friday, June 08, 2007

Editing Woes

I've worked steadily on Troubled Waters over the last week. At this point I'm closing the last of the major plot holes (I hope). I also caught some problems with the villain's aliases and I'm now dashing back and forth between sections of the book making sure it all matches. Unfortunately, I'm still hovering at just past the half-way mark. I moved forward in the book--to the last third-- and discovered a major problem which required returning to the middle of it. I think I've dealt with that. The word count hasn't changed much, which I suspect is a good thing.

My husband, bless him, is impatient. "You're worrying too much," he says. "You're going to mess it up. If you try to make it perfect you'll be at it for the rest of your life."

You only get one chance to wow an agent and I'll be darned if I'm rejected because of sloppy work. I'm not sweating typos at this point; I'm worried about the story being entertaining. A story that doesn't make sense isn't entertaining.

No comments: