Thursday, June 07, 2007

Stupid pills

It's six am and I've been awake since three. I went to bed around eight-thirty as I was mysteriously unable to keep my eyes open. Frankly I thought I was sick, because it went beyond being drowsy.

I just now figured out why. I've had a headache for a couple of days. Yesterday about six-thirty or so I finally decided to take something for it. I reached into the cabinet and grabbed the bottle of "Migraine Relief", a generic mix of pain relievers. I took four (yes, that's what it takes to beat my headaches), finished making supper, ate and sat down on the couch to watch tv with the boys (the dish goes off in July; we're enjoying it while we can!).

An hour later, I was so tired I couldn't see straight. I thought it was the antihistamine I'd taken earlier in the day, though it didn't make a lot of sense. I fought it for a while and finally gave up and went to bed. I slept hard for several hours, missing out on a show the boys and I've been looking forward to watching together for weeks.

My headache was back this morning so I reached into the cabinet and pulled out the same bottle I'd used yesterday. I looked at the label this time and read, "Non-Aspirin PM" a generic pain reliever laced with a sleep aid. I keep this around for my husband who works nights and sometimes has trouble sleeping during the day. I opened it and looked inside, then looked back at the bottle I'd intended to reach for. Both bottles were identical in shape and size, though the lids and labels were different. I then looked at the pills in the other bottle and confirmed it.

I took four sleeping pills by accident. Fortunately they were mild and so all I'm suffering from this morning other than the headache, is feeling stupid. However, I now know if I ever really, really need to sleep, I can take four PMs and the problem will be completely solved. Of course if a tornado comes to town, someone might actually have to carry me out of the house, because I don't think I'd I'd be of much use in the land of OZ.

Welcome party enters the remains of my bedroom and finds me lying on my bed.

"Hey! Lady! You saved us from the Wicked Witch of the West!"

"Lady? Lady?" Fat Munchkin finger pokes my unconscious body.

"Is she dead?"

"Nahh. She's snorin'."

"Great. Now what?"

I don't know!"

The welcome party glances around to be sure Glenda, the Good Witch of the North isn't looking.

"Lets check her pockets and see if she's got any money!"


Sometimes I think, of the people in this household who should not be left to their own devices, I need supervision the most.

No comments: