Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sequel to whatever happened to . . .

I took a risk a few weeks ago and sent off a letter to the old friend I made reference to in the post "Whatever Happened to". I haven't heard back from him which is understandable. I don't know how I'd react if someone from nearly twenty-five years in my past surfaced without explanation.

No wait. That's not true. I know exactly what I'd do. First I'd assume they wanted to sell me something and I'd be annoyed and would throw the letter out. Then after more thought I'd change my mind and get it out of the trash can. Just about the time I started writing a response, I'd conclude they were probably stalkers who wanted to win my trust only to kidnap me and hold me for ransom until my rich father in Montana agreed to pay their price. I'd throw the letter away again and start shopping for a gun. Then I'd get a hold of my imagination, shake it by the scruff until it yipped an apology for scaring me so badly, talk myself into a calm state of mind by reminding me that things like this happen all the time to people aren't characters in a murder mystery and that my father isn't rich. It was very likely that this friend simply wanted to reconnect with something from their past. Then I'd write them a nice, but somewhat reserved response.

But that's me and I'm a little strange. (No comments please)

I sent this carefully worded letter along with my e-mail and an invitation to e-mail me. However a couple of days ago I re-read a copy of the letter I sent and found I mistyped my e-mail address. Chances are if he cared enough to attempt to reply by e-mail, he'd probably be amused. Some things never change. I've considered sending a follow up letter as a simple post script, but I think I'll just leave it well enough alone. If he's inclined to write back snail mail works well too.

I edited all of two pages before going to bed last night. I've got a quiet afternoon ahead of me and I'm off to knock out a few more pages now.

No comments: