Friday, July 27, 2007

Troubled Waters Update

I'm in the last fifty pages of edits. I've had to backtrack some and address earlier issues as I've run across them. I expect to be done by tomorrow if not this evening. I announced this to my husband this morning. His response? "About durned time."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That means that thing's been layin' around the house long enough and it's time for it to go out and get a job."

He just doesn't understand. It needed time to find itself. I'd have sent it backpacking across Europe (or Australia), but I just didn't have the money so it had to make due with camping in the back yard and long walks in the rain.

I didn't sleep well--nothing in particular wrong--just a screwed up sleep schedule and a mind that wouldn't shut off, which made no sense considering how tired I was. My husband gets in from work around three am so when it became plain I wasn't going just drop off, I got up and edited Troubled_Waters while waiting for him. When he arrived we talked for a long time, then he went off to sleep and I laid in the dark listening to the house. The cats thundering back and forth, alternating between arguing and playing. The occasional arm striking the wall when a boy turned in his sleep, my husband's soft snores. Then morning birds calling to each other from their various chores--announcing eggs hatching, territorial changes, singles column stuff, good places to get breakfast and which hawks were out and about. Before I knew it the sun was up and an impatient German Shepherd was doing "gotta go" dance. Then I was sleepy and ready to close my eyes, but the day was ready to begin and it wouldn't hear of doing so without me. Two cups of coffee later, I was ready to continue working.

All in all, it's been a good day, but I really must go do some housework. Maybe. In a little while. After I finish the next page. Or the one after that.

No comments: