Thursday, February 21, 2008

Politicians and Poetry

I once read about a scientist who conducted a social experiment. He stood in a reception line at a formal gathering shaking hands with people. He greeted each person with the same nonsensical statement sandwiched between the standard niceties. No one noticed.

I hate it when a politician is asked a direct, simple question and they not only don't answer it, they use it as an opportunity make an unrelated ear-pleasing, poetic dramatic pointless point. But what I hate more is how most people don't seem to realize it. They jump to their feet applauding wildly and it doesn't cross their minds that they are being manipulated by mere imagery.

And yes, I'm talking about last night's debates. People don't want debates over the issues. They want poetry readings.

4 comments:

Dennis Bryant said...

The last thing politicians want to do is confuse voters with the facts...

Julie Carter said...

"Mere imagery"? Poet, I am ashamed of you! :D

Unknown said...

So is there some kind of election or something going on? I didn't know.

Mary O. Paddock said...

Dennis--Frighteningly enough, you're probably right. But wouldn't a straight answer be nice? (I say this same thing to my kids . . .)

Julie- You caught me. However, if it helps at all--the imagery was entirely weak, unoriginally presented, fluffy, cliched tripe.

Ray--Oh noooo Ray. It's all over now. Hillary Clinton won. All the men in the country will now be required to wear veils and not be seen in the company of women they aren't married to.