Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Since September I've been requesting old Sci-fi movies from Netflix to watch with the boys. Everything from The Day of the Triffids to The Blob to The Monster on Campus to Robinson Crusoe on Mars to(this evening) The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)and a mix of other (sometimes B-grade) classics. I guess I'm feeling somewhat nostalgic. For me these movies are about a more innocent period in history and I appreciate the fact that I don't have to worry about nudity, etc.

Joe informed me this evening that The Invasion of the Body Snatchers had the one of the worst (most depressing) top six endings he'd ever seen.

I guess I'd better skip Soylent Green.

4 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

LOL Does this affect your writing at all? Curious as to whether the things you see come out in your work.

Scotty said...

Aaah, good old Soylent Green - I have that in my collection. Don't forget Puppet Masters, Frankenstein, Forbidden Planet - what's wrong with B-grade movies anyway - they're fun, no swearing, no nudity, and sometimes they contain great social messages pertinent to the time.

Our kids could do worse than to watch B-graders, don't ya reckon?

:-)

Debby said...

Yes, Scotty, they could do worse than B movies. They could watch some of the sadistic slasher horror stuff of today. I just do not understand how graphic violence and torture has become entertainment.

Mary O. Paddock said...

Mrs C--I hope not. However if any paper mache swamp monsters appear in my work, I'll let you know.

Scotty--I think we've seen Forbidden Planet and I know we've seen Frankenstein, Werewolf, Dracula, and a couple of combinations. I've thought about Puppet Masters, but haven't had the courage just yet. Nothing is wrong with B-rated movies. Have you ever seen Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)?

Debby--We don't allow those in our house and the boys don't seem to mind. The time or two that they've been exposed to them by way of friends, they've been seriously grossed out and disgusted by the lack of plot line.