Friday, January 11, 2013

Dussel Would Approve

 If you've been hanging around my blog for any length of time at all, you've probably noted that I like dogs and cats. I like 'em a lot.


Further more, I am a huge fan of animal shelters and what they represent to the millions of homeless animals in our country.  Among our pets (largely rescues) I've been fortunate to have three animals over the years that came from shelters--a Siamese named after E.E. Cummings (we dubbed him Eek), a Dachshund mix named Random (who passed away at sixteen years old in 2008), and, currently, Clancy. I consider myself a better person for knowing each of them. When I think about where they would have been without a middle man who could step in and provide for them until I came along, I shudder.


You know the ASPCA commercial with Sarah Mclachlan singing "Angel"? Yeah. It makes me cry too (It's okay, guys, I won't tell). As much as I appreciate the heart-wrenching power of that ad, I must say that I find positive advertising to be every bit as powerful. Below is an ad that not only encourages people to adopt from their local animal shelter, it celebrates the mission and the people involved. Further more, it is guaranteed that you will walk away singing "Take a Chance on Me". There's a better copy of it here--if you want to watch it on full screen: SPCA Pet Adoption Video



My writing would not be what it is without the animals I've known. And because I cannot imagine my life without them, I rarely write a story that does not include one. Sometimes they're so close to the main character they almost displace them.  

Those of you who are curious about the title of the blog--Dussel is a dog in my book Fassen Files (and he is a good example of a main character being upstaged by the dog). Want to know more? Well, you'll have to read the book. You can find it here 


No comments: