Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Postcards from Gliese


I have a deep fear of becoming a one-trick pony. I do not view myself as a "Christian Writer," just a writer who is a Christian. And while I'm fond of ghost stories, I don't want to be known for just telling that sort of tale. Nor do I want you to know me as the writer of supernatural thrillers. I read widely--a little of everything. I want to write widely too.

One evening, a little over a year ago, I sat down to write something that was a complete departure from anything I'd tackled before. I wanted to see if I could tell a real science fiction tale. Because I'm such a huge fan of Ray Bradbury (who did not consider himself a science fiction writer), I thought to take a little of his mojo with me as I relied more on science than he did. Because I'm me, and I'm far more interested in relationships and action-stories than I am science, it evolved into something all its own. Much like Bright, it starts out a story about an unhappy marriage, but it does not remain one. And while it takes place on another planet and the environ is significant to the character's evolution, it's not just about that either. It's all of it. It's a tale about a woman who must make her peace with her hostile environment and with herself if she's going to survive. More than that if she's going to flourish.

I'm also hoping that readers like it enough to ask for more. Gliese has a lot going on--more than ARCA (the organization that sent Annie and her husband to Gliese) knows. There is drama everywhere (scientists that were thought to have gone home, but didn't. Other populations of natives. ARCA contractors who've been sent to deal with supposed threats. And more.) But you have to know where to look.

This is me encouraging readers who enjoy this story to let me know. I want to tell you more, but not before you're ready.





No comments: